This article is part of CMO.com’s February series about mobile. Click here for more.
Much has changed since cell-phone inventor Martin Cooper placed the first mobile call in 1973. More than just a gateway for telephone communications on the go, consumers are putting their smartphones to work for media consumption, research, shopping, and, more recently, augmented and virtual reality experiences. And with the adoption of voice capabilities, smartphones are now transforming into pocket-residing personal assistants.
Here’s a snapshot of the mobile landscape today.
1. From 2016 to 2017, time spent per day on mobile has increased by approximately seven minutes, reaching a total of 3 hours and 15 minutes per day. (Source: eMarketer)
2. Mobile devices will account for 79% of all internet use in 2018 globally. (Source: eMarketer)
3. Mobile augmented reality is expected to become the primary driver of a $108 billion VR/AR market by 2021. (Source: TechCrunch)
4. Fifty-two percent of retailers still do not optimize digital content for the device consumers choose to shop on. (Source Retail Systems Research)
5. Twenty-three percent of consumers claim in-app recommendations would fuel them to add more products to their mobile shopping carts, with 33% affirming it would convince them to spend more time in the app. (Source: comScore)
6. The mobile app vs. the mobile web debate is ongoing. However, research shows that 52% of the time individuals spend on digital media is on mobile apps. (Source: comScore)
7. Twenty percent of mobile search queries were made via voice in 2016, with accuracy now at about 95%. (Source: Mary Meeker’s 2017 Global Internet Report)
8. Wearables are gaining adoption, with about 25% of Americans owning one in 2017, up 12% from 2016. (Source: Mary Meeker’s 2017 Global Internet Report)
9. Mobile ad blocking is up 90% year over year. (Source: HubSpot)
10. During the 2017 holiday season, a whopping $35.9 billion was spent via mobile devices, according to Adobe Digital Index. That accounts for a record-setting 33.1% of online holiday revenue coming from smartphones or tablets. Mobile also accounted for 52% of traffic to retail websites during the holidays. (Source: Adobe Digital Insights)
11. Sixty-nine percent of consumers worldwide between the ages of 18 and 39 use mobile devices to research products before they buy, and 44% use tablets. (Source: comScore)
12. Mobile devices account for 53% of paid-search clicks. (Source: comScore)
13. Mobile-influenced offline spending is already estimated to be over $1 trillion in 2017. (Source: iProspect)
14. Fifty-seven percent of users say they won’t recommend a business with a poorly designed mobile site. (Source: socPub)
15. While mobile shoppers make up only 17% of all consumers, they account for 21% of all e-commerce sales—and mobile’s share of total e-commerce sales continues to grow. (Source: Facebook IQ Study)